Search This Blog

Monday, October 09, 2006

Missing Icons and Bad Links or Invisible Links or Script Error in MSDN

I recently had a problem with MSDN Library files, where most of the links produced a script error and the top links, which point to more resources or examples were found to be missing.
I tried re-installing and the same problem occurred.
And then I found the solution to it in the following link.
Missing Icons and Bad Links in MSDN - MSDN Forums:

Or else you could check out the solution down below in the words of the solution provider, Bri.


I have run into this "missing link" problem as well in MSDN versions Oct 2001 and earlier. I recently worked with MS Developer Support to alleviate this issue. Over the course of 2 days we found the proverbial "needle in a haystack" fix. All you have to do is change the following registry setting (Put the following text in a .reg file and run it if you wish):


Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00


[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{ADB880A6-D8FF-11CF-9377-00AA003B7A11}]
"Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000000

It's always amazing to me how small -- and invisible -- a fix is to problems like these!

--------------------------------------
For a step-by-step explanation:
1. Open your regsitry editor. Start --> Run --> Type in regedit
2. Go to the following Key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{ADB880A6-D8FF-11CF-9377-00AA003B7A11}
3. Right Click on "Compatibility Flags" and select "Modify"
4. Type 0 in Value Data (zero)

Hope this was useful.

I don't know why this problem occurred though.
Maybe it maybe due to the fact that I had installed an IE update or I had installed and removed beta version of Visual Studio .net


Please visit my other blogs too: http://edwardanil.blogspot.com for information and http://netsell.blogspot.com for internet marketing. Thanks !!

No comments: